Episode 1 – The Miller Mindset – 5 Easy Tips to Building a Strong Mindset
A negative mindset can have a significant impact on the success of an office leader or small business owner. It can lead to feelings of self-doubt, pessimism, and even a complete lack of motivation in general. On the other hand, a positive mindset can help entrepreneurs to overcome challenges, stay focused, and achieve their goals.
Here are five easy tips to building a strong mindset that can help you change it from a negative to a positive, and get your day back on track:
- Identify your negative thoughts: The first step in changing your mindset is to recognize it when negative thoughts are hindering your success and holding you back, whether that be in the moment, or over time. I recommend that you take time to think about and write down any negative thoughts that come to mind each day at the least, and then seek to challenge them with positive affirmations.
- A positive word to yourself can go a long way toward undoing stress, anger, and emotional distress. Even years worth of emotional damage can eventually be overcome with the right outlook and a positive affirmation ritual over time.
- Practice gratitude: It’s easy to get caught up in the challenges and setbacks of holding a leadership role that others look to you for and running a business. Take time each day to reflect on what you’re grateful for, whether it’s your supportive family, loyal customers and staff, or just the completion of a recent successful project.
- Don’t get mired down in the minutia of insignificant details that will only serve to stress you out and put your mindset in the wrong frame of mind. That’s not your lane as a business leader. You’re supposed to be the big picture person of the group. Let others work on the details. At The Miller Mindset, our executive coaching program starts with separating leaders from the ideas that they have to be everything to everybody with many of our clients. The truth is, you can’t be everything to everybody, so why waste your energy trying to be. Instead, seek to surround yourself with those who will provide the strengths you are lacking in, and in whom you can provide strength for areas that they lack. This will create a strong working relationship, and fuel your business and financial growth.
- Visualize success: Visualizing success can help you stay motivated and focused on your goals. Imagine yourself achieving your business objectives and how it will feel once you reach them.
- There is an affirmation that I like to say. I have been saying it to myself over and over again since 1985 when I found it in this little book in the school library. The book was called Rhinoceros Success, and it was written by Scott Alexander. In it, Scott tells us that we can achieve massive success if we stop seeing ourselves as cows and start seeing ourselves as rhinoceros. And you know what, he was right. I’ve been seeing myself as a 2 ton rhinoceros ready to get up in the morning to start charging down my opportunities for 30 odd years now, and I have never met an obstacle I could not overcome with the right perspective.
- Surround yourself with positivity: Surround yourself with positive people who can support and encourage you. These can include friends, family, mentors, and even other entrepreneurs.
- There is an old saying, “Lie down with dogs and you’ll get fleas”. I know I touched on this sentiment here a moment ago as well, but something this important to the development of a positive and healthy mindset bares repeating. The point is that your world is literally influenced by your surroundings and by the company you keep. If you hang around with those who are actively seeking to do nothing with their lives, the chances are good that you will not do too much with your as well. On the other hand, if you hang with inventors and engineers, and scientists, you are much more likely to develop that next big idea that might actually influence daily life for millions of people in some manner. Why, because that would be where your mind is at when speaking to that group of friends.
- The power of mindset is a two edged sword. It is sharp and strong, and it can wield mighty power to turn you into the white knight in a boardroom, and catapult you to the top of the tower as a successful captain of industry. However, you have to handle it with care, and constantly stay focused and aware of the blade at all times, lest it cut you.
- Take care of yourself: Remember folks, Running a business can be a stressful thing, so it’s essential to take care of your physical and your mental health.
- Make time for you, and do healthy physical, mental, and even emotional activities like exercise, meditation, and hobbies that you enjoy. Go out with your kids and take them to a ball game. Have fun.
If your dealing with a bad mindset, Remember, changing it is going to take some real time and effort to do, but it’s worth it to do. By cultivating a positive mindset, you’ll be better equipped to overcome any obstacles or challenges you face, and achieve success in your career or business.
On the Next Episode:
Next time, on The Miller Mindset, we discuss the importance of self-awareness in leadership, and I’ll give you a simple 3 step exercise that you can use every day to build on your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. Don’t miss it, next Tuesday, April 11th, 2023 at 2pm EST.